Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 January 2012

My top ten albums ever

`In celebration of my love for music, and I am extremely bored, I am going to attempt to list my top 10 favourite musical albums of the last ten years.

Music is so important to me. I love Metal and Classical and a mix of both, but I love good music, no matter the genre really. I appreciate musicians who make me feel intense feelings. Excited, happy, sad. That is what good music does, it moves you. 

So here it goes! 
(number one is my top album ever but all the others are in no particular order.)

MY TOP 10

10.  Leonard Cohen- I'm your man
This one is classic. I discovered Leonard for myself at 16 after parents used to blare his music and drunkenly sing along and embarrass me when I was a kid. "First we take Manhattan" Takes me back to parties at The Arlington when I was a starving but drunk 18 year old working a shitty job and playing violin for weddings. This is one album I have listened to regularly for the last ten years.


9. Metallica- Ride the lightning
I remember discovering Metal in high school, and I was struck by the virtuosity of the musicians and the amount of melody and the intense driving nature of metal guitar made me fall in love with the genre. I credit Metallica for getting me into metal and to this day I think the most amazing musicians out there today are in metal. Metal is the classical music of my generation.

8.  Heart- Little Queen
Nothing rocks harder than two sisters who can play the shit out of a guitar and sing like a mofo. Little Queen is my top album by this band because Barracuda and Little Queen are my favourite songs they wrote. If you don't know this album I strongly suggest you find it.


7. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
So this is a classic that is probably in a lot of peoples top ten. Stevie Nicks voice on Gold Dust Woman gives me the chills. The Chain is another gooder. If you don't know this album you've got some homework to do.




6. Nigel Kennedy with the English Chamber Orchestra- The Four Seasons.
The reason I love this album is obvious, I am a violinist and Nigel plays the four seasons the way every violinist wants to play it- with flare and virtuosity. I love his version and have taken elements of his style into my own rendition of the four seasons. I don't have a favourite movement, I love them all.

5. Itzhak Perlman- Bach Concertos
I learned all kinds of Bach as a young violinist, and I listened to this album to learn all the concertos. Itzhak Perlman is one of those violinists that make my heart hurt with how beautifully they play. I would say he is the most amazing violinist of all time.
4. Children of Bodom- Something Wild
Now this one isn't for everyone, but this Finnish metal band are among the most talented musicians in the world today. This is their debut album and the neo-classical melodies mixed with the brutality of death metal a showcase for the amazing technical skills of Alexi Liaho. If you like melodic metal you already know this album, but I recommend it to anyone who wants to feel like they are in a torture chamber.



3. Cyndi Lauper- She's so unusual
 Before Lady Gag gag there was Cyndi the great. This was one of my favourite albums by age five, and to this day I rock out to girls just wanna have fun and She Bop. I believe both songs were played at my wedding.



OK This is getting tough!
I can think of sooo many albums that matter so much to me.
So here are the top two and there will be an honourable mention as well.

2. Moonsorrow- Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
This Finnish Black/folk band call themselves "Epic Heathen Metal". They are progressive and melodic, and their albums tell a story. The way I felt when I finished listening to this album is indescribably moved but stoic. I believe it changed my life. It is truly beautiful.




1. Guns N Roses- Appetite for destruction
For anyone who knows me, this needs no explanation, Axl Rose is pretty much the definition of a badass frontman and Slash rules on the GIT-Tar. Welcome to the jungle got everyone on the dance floor at my wedding and me and my husband know every word on this album and inflection Axl puts on the lyrics. We fell in love rocking to this album. 






Honorable mention:
Finntroll- Nattfödd
The title is Nightborn and this bands show is always great cause it's one of the only times you'll see metal heads dancing. 


So there you go kids, those albums are what I consider the very top ten in my music collection. There are a lot of bands that I love but they can't all be in the top. I encourage you to list your top ten, it's harder than you'd think it would be!


So I am gonna go cause I am talking to KT while she is bathing. 
Kinda creepy eh?


-E.