Search This Blog

Thursday 14 March 2013

The Sibelius Shine

OK, so since I've been picking up ol' Violino more regularly since my treatment ended like a gdam year ago to drown my sorrows in Vivaldi or Thais or Weiniawski I have revisited this concerto I've had collecting dust for too long and have had to take it very slow thus testing my patience and I long to have no job, some rickity old home with running water and all the time in the world to dissect this piece of music but unfortunately I do not so I have almost considered getting a teacher for this one.

Most of what I pick up in sheet music I already have heard or I listen to it and I can get it.
This one is ridiculously difficult and only practice it when I have the house to myself which isn't often but this piece right here might be my version of
"Shine"


Award winning film BTW, and totally for that night that you feel like getting all deeeeeep maaaaaann.

Can't find the footage I want from that movie but listen to this like 2 or 3 minute long montage of the Shine guy and you'll hear how someone could end up on the funny farm trying to master it in every single way.

We are not robots we are humans, and the expectations surrounding this level of music are intimidating and would drive a person bat shit crazy.

THIS is not the piece driving me nuts, so if you've heard it, scroll on down, or if you don't care about some crazy pianist playing Rach 3 SCROLL DOWN.


If you don't know the movie, basically this very intelligent dude I think he's Jewish... goes mad trying to learn an incredibly complex piece of music that demands perfection.

Rachmaninov Piano concerto number 3 will put a pianist in a mental institution.
The brighter the musician, the more likely.

THE most difficult piece of music written for any instrument, apparently.
I have to disagree because the first movement of this Violin concerto I dusted off makes me a lunatic, more than I already am, fuck fuck fuck!

ENOUGH PIANO!

BACK TO THE VIOLIN PIECE IN STUDY!
Ok so maybe I am too old to get it down perfectly. 
Maybe I am too much of a Gypsy player to play it technically perfectly.
Probably.
I just want the satisfaction of unlocking the puzzle of bowings, positions, yeah hahaahha, all that violiny nerd shit.

ANYWAYS.

Sibelius Violin Concerto

The first time I heard this was when my youth orchestra played it in the Youth Orchestra with a soloist from our orchestra, this talented little Asian fuck named... ok I've said enough.

Anyways he played it with a smirk on his face and had an almost robotic yet Kung-Fu delivery and movement while he played, and being 16 or so I was pissed off that he said he didn't care much for the violin and this was easy shit.

Well it's not, but I won't stop trying, but if I end up in a metal institution you'll have to take the violin for a while.

Now it is not of course the violin orchestral part I can't play to my satisfaction, did that.
It's the soloist in the concerto that makes this piece fucking magic.

Sorry to all that aren't musical nerds, but trust me with my classical picks, I don't like boring ass music.

SO WATCH THIS AND SEE WHY I AM OBSESSING RIGHT NOW!!!


AND!!!!
For gosh darnit jesus H. on a cross,
If you think THIS PIECE should be easy your last name better be either Paganini, Bach, Vivaldi, Perlman or MOZART.

Thank you.

It will never end, until I can play it naturally and put all the emotion into it I won't be happy, and even then I probably won't be happy, please cremate me with this music. 
GERRRRRD!!!

That is the curse of the Violin...

-E.

1 comment:

alicia said...

i want video of youuuuuu playing! remember when you had to play at gramma and puppa's anniversary and we all starving and eating salad dressing? davey? so many memories.<3