Search This Blog

Sunday 17 February 2013

A cancer poem

I don't usually post my poetry because it is usually a very personal thing for me.
My online persona is more of a dark clown, but sometimes inside there are dark holes and I fill them with words.

I've been writing poetry since I first fell in love with it at age 12.
I have never stopped writing poetry and went from diaries and books to writing all my poems and storing them on my computer, seldom letting anyone read them...
I don't always read all of them more than once.
I always have a few I revise and perfect then read from time to time.

I thought I would share a poem with y'all I wrote during a very uncertain and scary time of my cancer treatment. It brought a few tears to my eyes tonight to see how I saw my illness and the fear surrounding it, but it also gave me comfort to see where I was then to where I am now, and the poem foretold what I had yet to understand.

 I would like to think I am now above the trees, but not necessarily home.

 This one was written around April or May of 2011.



The dark forest

There is a forest I know
at least some parts of it
It is surrounded by tall mountain peaks
The trees all look the same and it is too dark to follow your breadcrumbs
The wolves howl off in the distance and my naked body stays quietly before darting in one direction to the next
Hiding beneath deep dark brush

There is a sappy stickiness in the air
At times it is hard to breathe
Thorns and snares cut me all over but soft moss is around
To sleep
To rest
To die

Where do I lay my head tonight
Deep in the dark forest
Where bears wander down off the mountains that encase me
Deep in the thick
Where do I run tonight when it is so dark
When can I lie down and wait for the bears to come
When can I live above the trees above the blackness

A snowy day arrives and light spills in
There is nothing left but white I move through and into it
My frozen skin is warmed by this light and the mountains all around become so visible
So high up beyond the trees

I can see where I am for the first time and though it makes me sick it lights up my feet and I push I run I carry on and on
It is those mountains I can see that will be the most challenging 
The dark forest is frightening but somehow comforting
The mountains are dangerous and more violence and fear await but I ask myself
How else do I get home
I head towards the snowy peaks with the knowledge I am going to war

-E.

No comments: