Search This Blog

Sunday 6 May 2012

First rule. Burn Story. Angry Kiwi Beefcake.

SO I AM ACHING TO TELL YOU ALL WHAT HAPPENED TODAY...BUT...

THE FIRST RULE OF FIGHT CLUB: DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!




I was involved in a really cool high energy shoot today with a couple of local photographers, and that's all I will say!

You will all just have to wait and see what happened.

Fucking amazing and fantastic day. I feel like I went to therapy.

Sorry to be so secretive but this really is a covert operation at the moment and I may have already said too much.

Anyways, it will be will be worth the wait.

EEEEEEEEEE
STILL JUST REELING FROM IT ALL!
SO FUN!


So anyways, take a look at this picture and if you know a teen nearing grad, or a teen who tans, please share this with them.


Also check out this site. My story is supposed to be on it but I can't seem to find it, maybe you can?

And don't forget to look into the mirror and see what happens to the room.


So I have been writing to speak with teens soon, I need enough material to cover up to three hours.

I feel like I've gotten the public and my peers much more aware of the disease of Malignant Melanoma, the fact that it is a merciless beast and will take the young healthy beautiful.

I am hoping the Big Burn Movement will touch youngsters more, and start teaching that
YOU DON'T NEED A TAN TO BE BEAUTIFUL.

One thing about any anti-tanning movements desperately urge youngsters to use spray tans! 
Use the daily tanning lotion, full of chemicals that will cause some other cancer down the line.

Well before I go off on a long angry rant about how society is fucked and teaches young people that a tan is more beautiful than pale, natural skin.

That's how I feel now, but not even before Melanoma.

Isn't it funny how we quit something bad for us like smoking for example, which for me was tanning and I stopped at 24- had a sudden disgust for myself and my TRYING to change who I really was, fought the burns and tried hard to get some colour, out of some twisted insecurity I developed while serving cocktails.

The girls I worked with all tanned A LOT and were bronzed and the time, and I was the washed up Alberta girl these girls (and guys) would tell me as I was stocking the bar, 

wow, your legs are pale.

You need a tan girl.

You'd think, I'd gone my whole life ok with my white skin, at times loved it, other times, frustrated with with the little things that come with delicate porcelain skin, sensitive all of that, but otherwise did not have any real insecurities regarding my light skin. But these girls with tans seemed to have flawless skin, and I suddenly fell in love with the look, and wanted to be tanned too.

On top of that, I was also trying to combat the blues of the Lower Mainland greyness, which I had the hardest time getting used to.

I knew I got a great charge off the beds, not for long, maybe an hour. 
Just because it was nice and warm and bright, across the street and gave the local businesses deals on packages, I found it relaxing to have a tan before or after work, and eventually I started thinking I was getting darling, and I was very young, and silly.

Now I look back and wonder why I didn't just stick a fuck you finger in these people's faces but working in a restaurant and bar in Vancouver was nothing like working in Edmonton, appearance was HUGE. It had a lot to do with your employability. 


If a chick was not the prettiest or had a few loose pounds and NO TAN I'd watch my bosses rip up resumes and laugh after they'd leave. 


All the girls I worked with were supportive of that and laughed too, and I suppose me being this little mouse from Alberta I went along with it, so they wouldn't all turn against me.


I stopped working the bar and went to restaurant industry, clumsy server but great manager, and enjoyed and loved my job there much more, but still felt that pressure to have a tan and "look healthy." 
PSHH FUCKING BULLSHIT.


Somehow I kept it up, on and off, now don't think that I went tanning excessively, skipping around town and using multiple beds, tanning everyday or for years and years.


I went in spurts during the years, use up my minutes and decide that place was dirty and not go tanning for months to a whole year.




Speaking of DIRTY:


THINGS YOU CAN PICK UP OFF A TANNING BED OTHER THAN CANCER:


-GENITAL WARTS
-HPV
-FECAL MATTER


Ummmmmmmm eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww


RIGHT?


Now you tanners are going to go 


WELL, I ONLY USE THE STANDUP BEDS.


Often those are the most powerful beds and can deliver an entire day of the Caribbean sun in 
JUST FIVE MINUTES.


I have a dark foreshadowing memory of the last time I tanned, I used one of those stand ups and had to get out early, I just felt like I was burning my skin to the bones.


I get out in disgust, look back at the mole on my leg which eventually turned into Melanoma.


I thought, wow, what am I doing to myself?


I shouldn't be doing this to my skin.


I think this mole is angry at me.


So I left, had no minutes left, didn't buy another package, and never came back.


Three years later I am diagnosed stage 3 Melanoma.




IN OTHER NEWS!


My pottery class is tomorrow again, SQUEEEEEEEE!!!


I hope I can get a nice hang of this and make some fun stuff.


It is very lovely to feel that delicious clay between your fingers and your hand creating something.
Wow that was soooo hippie.


Not that I hate hippies or anything.
Just Patchouli.
And drumming circles, unless they aren't high on something, therefore sucking.


They're around, usually Whyte ave somewhere....










Trying to be cool in the laundry room.




So tomorrow is Monday- yay!!!


I mean that Genuinely- I love my job!


I'm going to fly through there in high heels and a pencil skirt or maybe something kinda flowee haven't decided yet- love that party of my job, dresses, skirts, pretty shoes, blouses.... manage lunch, go make some calls and emails in my Ruth Voice as I call it, I only use it at Ruth's and you wouldn't recognize it from my other voices:


-Doobie voice
-Wine voice
-Dinner voice
-Chillin' voice
-Angry voice
-Husband voice
-Awkward uncomfortable voice
-Overly loose voice


Oh there are more voices. If you know me you know there's probably 100.


Before I take to my pillow and late night Sims, I will post a couple terribly hilarious headlines from the region my father in law lives in in Thailand.


http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/05/06/pattaya-snatch-run-trannies-caught-cash-for-farang-boyfriend/


or how about


http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/03/13/angry-kiwi-beefcake-stabs-canadian-english-teacher-in-pattaya/


Hahahaha.


Night my pretty shiny things.


-E.




No comments: